When the buttery caramel meets the bitter chocolate, it’s quite magical.
- 250g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 325g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g light brown sugar
- 2 x 397g cans light condensed milk
- 350g dark chocolate
- Make the shortbread by placing the flour, caster sugar, vanilla seeds and 175g of the butter in a bowl and rubbing together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Press together until it forms a dough then press into a lined 20cm square tin. Prick with a fork and cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4 and cook the shortbread for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely then return it to the fridge.
- Place the remaining butter, light brown sugar and condensed milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce to a moderate heat and cook for 15-25 minutes, or until it turns a lovely caramel colour. Stir constantly.
- When the caramel is ready, let it cool slightly then pour it over the shortbread and return to the fridge to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel. Return to the fridge and allow to set for 30 minutes. Cut into squares.
GDAS: Per serving: calories 357 (18%), sugar 36g (40%), fat 19g (27%), saturates 12g (60%), salt 0.1g (1.7%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.