Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
- 1 kg fresh live Scottish mussels
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150ml cider
- 15g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Discard any cracked or open mussels then rinse and ‘debeard’ them by pulling any filament off the shell. Heat the butter in a large pan with a fitted lid. Add the onion, garlic and flour. Sauté for 1-2 minutes then add the mustard and cider. Whisk into a smooth sauce and season.
- Add the mussels, cover and cook on a high heat for 3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. When all the mussels open, they are done (discard any that don’t open). Remove from heat, sprinkle the parsley over and serve in shallow bowls with the sauce.
GDAS: Per serving: calories 305 (15%), sugar 4.6g (5.1%), fat 16g (23%), saturates 8.3g (42%), salt 1.5g (25%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.