This sauce works well with other grilled meat, too – try it with pork or duck
- 5 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 75ml hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped or sliced
For the plum sauce
- 5 plums, stoned, halved and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- First make the plum sauce. Place the plums and garlic in a small saucepan and cover with water. Boil until soft, about 5 minutes, then drain. Reserve 1 plum then place the rest in a food processor with the garlic, coriander, ginger, vinegar, soy, chilli, and sugar. Blend until smooth then add the reserved plum, cut into chunks.
- Place the chicken in a bowl, add the Chinese five spice, season and toss with the hoisin sauce. Thread the chunks of meat on to metal skewers (or use wooden ones that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes to stop them burning). Brush with oil and season.
- Heat a barbecue or griddle pan and cook the chicken on low heat, about 5-6 minutes each side, until cooked through and no pink meat remains.
- Serve the skewers sprinkled with sesame seeds, spring onions, and fresh coriander, with the plum sauce in a bowl on the side.
Per serving: calories 310 (16%), sugar 12.9g (14%), fat 7.4g (11%), saturates 1.3g (6.5%), salt 1.7g (28%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.