This makes 1.5 litres of ice cream. Why not make a little extra crumble mixture to sprinkle over the ice cream when you serve it
- 360ml double cream
- 360ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 155g caster sugar
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 50g plain flour
- 25g oats
- 40g butter, cubed
- 50g hazelnuts, chopped
- Place the cream and milk in a saucepan with the vanilla pod and seeds. Gently bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat.
- Beat together the egg yolks and 360ml of the sugar for 5 mins in an electric mixer on a medium speed, until pale in colour and tripled in volume.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vanilla pods from the cream mixture then, with the mixer still on, slowly pour this over the eggs and sugar until well incorporated. Return the custard to a clean pan and cook for 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring continuously. Cover the surface with clingfilm so it doesn’t form a skin, and chill for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C fan/180°C/Gas 6. Place the apple in a small non-stick saucepan with 1 tbsp of the remaining sugar and 1 tbsp water. Cook gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, until the apple has softened but still holds its shape.
- Combine the flour, oats and remaining sugar in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the hazelnuts.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pour the crumble mixture over. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Once the ice cream has chilled, stir through the apple and crumble mixtures. Pour into a container and freeze until solid, stirring every 2 hours.
Per 50g serving: calories 262 (13%), sugar 13.8g (15%), fat 20g (29%), saturates 10.5g (52%), salt 0.1g (1.6%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.