This makes 1.5 litres of ice cream, and it’s a great recipe for using up over-ripe bananas
- 450ml double cream
- 360ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 120g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 120g muscovado sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp yellow food colouring
- 4 digestive biscuits, crushed
- Place 360ml of the cream and the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla pod and seeds. Gently bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat.
- Beat together the egg yolks and sugar for 5 mins in an electric mixer on a medium speed, until pale in colour and tripled in volume.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vanilla pods from the cream mixture then, with the mixer still on, slowly pour this over the eggs and sugar until well incorporated. Return the custard to a clean pan and cook for 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring continuously. Cover the surface with clingfilm so it doesn’t form a skin, and chill for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place the butter, muscovado and 60ml cream in a small saucepan over a low heat and allow the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Purée the bananas with the remaining cream in a food processor.
- When the ice cream has chilled, stir through the banana purée, food colouring and digestive biscuits. Finally, swirl through the caramel mixture. Pour into a container and freeze the ice cream until solid, stirring every 2 hours.
Per 50g serving: calories 305 (15%), sugar 8.4g (9.3%), fat 22.2g (32%), saturates 13g (65%), salt 0.2g (3.3%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.