This makes 1.5 litres of ice cream. The food colouring gives this ice cream a lovely green colour, but you can just as happily leave it out
- 360ml double cream
- 360ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 120g caster sugar
- 8 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 tsp green food colouring
- few drops peppermint extract
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Place the cream and milk in a saucepan with the vanilla pod and seeds. Gently bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat.
- Beat together the egg yolks and sugar for 5 minutes in an electric mixer on a medium speed, until pale in colour and tripled in volume.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vanilla pod from the cream mixture then, with the mixer still on, slowly pour this over the eggs and sugar until well incorporated, then add the mint. Return the custard to a clean pan and cook for 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring continuously. Cover the surface with clingfilm so it doesn’t form a skin and chill for 2 hours.
- Before freezing, remove the mint and stir in the food colouring and peppermint extract and fold through the chocolate. Freeze until solid, stirring every 2 hours.
Per 50g serving: calories 220 (11%), sugar 13.4g (15%), fat 17.4g (25%), saturates 10g (50%), salt 0.1g (1.6%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.