In a hurry? Use roasted peppers out of a jar for your salsa
- 1 x 654g pack M Savers Chicken Wings
- 4 tbsp medium peri peri sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 small green pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- ½ small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra for cooking
- Using a sharp pair of scissors, snip off the wing tips through the joint and discard. Place the wings in a large bowl and add the peri peri sauce, garlic, honey and the juice from ½ lemon. Stir well until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Thread the wings on to metal skewers (or wooden skewers soaked in cold water for at least 30 minutes); this will make them easier to turn during cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Barbecue the pepper over medium-hot coals for 4-5 minutes, turning frequently, until the skin is blackened. Place in a plastic food bag and seal. Set aside for 10 minutes to steam the skin off.
- Meanwhile, barbecue the chicken wings over medium-hot coals for 20-25 minutes, turning frequently, until the skin is crisp and brown, no pink meat remains and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a skewer at its thickest part.
- 10 minutes before the chicken wings are ready, remove the pepper from the bag, peel off and discard the skin, stalk, white pith and seeds. Dice the pepper and mix with the avocado, the juice of ½ lemon, the red onion, coriander and oil. Season to taste.
- Brush the remaining 2 lemon halves with a little oil and place on the barbecue until blackened on the cut edge – this will only take a few moments. Serve the chicken wings with the avocado salsa on the side and the chargrilled lemons to squeeze over.
Per serving: calories 560 (28%), sugar 12.9g (14%), fat 40.4g (58%), saturates 9.5g (47.5%), salt 1.3g (21.6%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.