M Kitchen chef Jon Coates says, ‘Mackerel is often overlooked, but it’s fantastic with big flavours such as these spices’
- 8 mackerel fillets, skin on, pin-boned
- 1 ½ tsp each cumin seeds and coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- ½ tsp each turmeric and chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the salad
- 500g new potatoes, boiled and halved
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 6 tbsp natural yogurt
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Make small slashes in the mackerel skin. Mix the spices together and sprinkle over the fish with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season well and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the salad by simply stirring together all the ingredients. Season.
- Heat a large pan with the remaining oil. Place the mackerel in skin-side down and press with a spatula for even cooking. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. Serve with the potato salad and lime wedges.
Per serving: calories 492 (25%), sugar 4.5g (5%), fat 31.2g (45%), saturates 6.3g (32%), salt 0.4g (7%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.