This makes 1.5 litres of ice cream. You could try other fruits instead of strawberry, such as raspberries or blueberries
- 360ml double cream
- 360ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 120g caster sugar
- 150g fresh strawberries, hulled
- shortbread fingers, crumbled
- Place the cream and milk in a saucepan with the vanilla pod and seeds. Gently bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat.
- Beat together the egg yolks and sugar for 5 minutes in an electric mixer on a medium speed, until pale in colour and tripled in volume.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vanilla pod from the cream mixture then, with the mixer still on, slowly pour this over the eggs and sugar until well incorporated. Return the custard to a clean pan and cook for 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring continuously. Cover the surface with clingfilm so it doesn’t form a skin and chill for 2 hours. Meanwhile, blitz the strawberries in a food processor until puréed.
- Before freezing, stir the crumbled shortbread fingers through the ice cream then swirl in the strawberry purée. Freeze until solid, stirring every 2 hours.
Per 50g serving: calories 223 (11%), sugar 11g (12%), fat 17.3g (25%), saturates 10.1g (50%), salt 0.1g (1.6%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.