M Kitchen chef Jon Coates says, ‘A whole salmon looks impressive and is great value if you’re feeding a crowd’
- 1 x 2.5kg whole salmon, gutted and scaled
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and thickly sliced
- 3 lemons, 1 sliced, 2 cut into wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 200g mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 120g watercress
- Wash the fish and place in a fish kettle. Cover with water. Add the onion, carrot, sliced lemon, bay leaves and peppercorns. Season.
- Place the fish kettle on the hob over two burners and turn the heat to high. Put the lid on, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow the salmon to cool in the kettle. The fish is cooked when it flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, chop half the dill finely and mix with the mayonnaise and capers. Squeeze 2 wedges of lemon juice into it and season.
- Transfer the cooled fish to a platter. Remove the skin and decorate with cucumber slices, remaining dill, watercress and lemon wedges. Serve with the caper and dill mayo alongside.
Per serving: calories 552 [28%], sugar 1g (1.1%), fat 40.1g (57%), saturates 6.6g (33%), salt 0.7g (12%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.