This works as a fresh, light lunch or a hearty summer supper, depending on your portion size
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock, made from 1 cube
- 15g butter
- 10ml olive oil
- 2 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 300g pearled barley
- 250ml white wine
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Pour the hot vegetable stock into a pan and bring to a simmer. In another pan, heat the butter and oil and sauté the shallots. Season.
- Stir for 3 minutes then add the pearled barley. Sauté for 2 minutes then add the white wine. Keep the heat medium-high and stir until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour in a ladle of stock and stir until it is absorbed. Repeat until the barley is nearly al dente. Halfway through, add the asparagus and lemon zest and stir in half the Parmesan. To serve, pour into bowls and top with the remaining Parmesan and fresh parsley.
Per serving: calories 451 (23%), sugar 3.4g (4%), fat 11.6g (17%), saturates 5g (25%), salt 1.1g (18%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.