This is ideal with our home-made soda bread, see the recipe on this page, too
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 250g streaky bacon
- 10 shallots, peeled and halved
- 225g whole chicken livers, trimmed
- 600g minced pork
- 4 tbsp port
- 1 tsp ground juniper berries
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 4 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 150g pistachios, shelled
- 125g sliced ham
- 300g chicken breast, cut into 2cm strips
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Brush a 1.4kg loaf tin with oil and line it with streaky bacon, leaving 5-6cm overlapping the edge.
- Gently heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a low heat and soften the shallots for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Heat the pan to high and add the remaining oil and the chicken livers, season well and cook until browned on all sides but not cooked through.
- In a large bowl, mix together the minced pork, port, juniper, allspice, parsley, thyme and pistachios and 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Gently stir in the cooled shallots and chicken livers then pile the mixture into the lined loaf tin, adding a couple of layers of ham and chicken and pressing down well.
- Fold the bacon over the top, cover with greased foil and place in a deep roasting tray. Pour hot water around the tin so it reaches halfway up the side then bake for 1 hour until cooked through. Remove from the oven, place something heavy over the top, cool then chill in the fridge. Garnish with parsley to serve, if you like.
Per serving: calories 296 (15%), sugar 1.6g (1.8%), fat 18g (26%), saturates 5g (25%), salt 1.1g (18%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.