baThese cupcakes are great if you have a sweet tooth. Freeze them undecorated and enjoy later. For a less sweet topping, replace the buttercream with fresh whipped cream
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
For the topping
- 180g butter, softened
- 375g icing sugar, sifted
- 6 fresh strawberries, halved
- 50ml strawberry syrup
- 4 meringue nests , crushed
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C/Gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well then fold in the flour and ground almonds evenly.
- Half-fill each muffin case with the mixture then dollop a spoonful of jam in the centre of each and top with the remaining mix. Bake for 20 minutes until springy to the touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate, beat the butter in a mixing bowl then gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition so you have a light buttercream. Pipe the buttercream on top of each cooled cupcake then decorate with a slice of strawberry, a drizzle of strawberry syrup and a sprinkling of crushed meringue.
Per serving: calories 530 (26%), sugar 54g (60%), fat 29g (41%), saturates 16g (80%), salt 0.7g (12%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.