A versatile and budget-friendly craft essential, egg cartons can be used to make many items, such as these long-legged ants. You could make a whole army of them and share them with friends.
- egg carton
- brown paint
- 4 brown pipe cleaners
- strong/tacky glue
- 2 small papier-mâché beads
- stick-on eyes
- Paint the egg carton – Use scissors (ask an adult to help you) to cut out two sections of the egg carton. Paint the carton using brown paint and leave it to dry completely. You may need to apply a second coat of paint for complete coverage.
- Glue on legs – Cut six equal lengths of brown pipe cleaner, each measuring approximately 10cm. Glue three lengths of pipe cleaner along one side of the egg-box carton at equal spaces, then repeat on the other side. Bend the legs to adjust them so that the ant can stand up easily.
- Stick on eyes – Paint the papier-mâché beads the same brown as the ant’s body and leave to dry. Glue them to the front of the ant. Now glue a pair of stick-on eyes on top of the papier-mâché beads and allow to dry.
- Finishing – Use a cocktail stick to pierce two holes just above the eyes. Insert two lengths of pipe cleaner approximately 3cm long. These are the antennae. If necessary, apply a blob of glue to the inside of the head to hold them in place.
This is just one of over 50 simple but exciting kids craft projects featured in the Rainy Day Book Of Things To Do, RRP £14.99, Ryland Peters & Small.
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.