These biscuits are perfect for dunking and easy enough for kids to help make. Experiment with flower, heart and star-shaped cutters.
- 250g butter, softened
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 375g plain flour
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- 200g buttercream flavour frosting
- 100g seedless raspberry jam
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat together the butter and icing sugar until they’re light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk then half the flour.
- Add the remaining flour, mix with your hands then knead lightly until smooth. Wrap in clingfilm and leave to rest in a cool place (not the fridge) for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/Gas 5. Roll out half the dough to about 3mm thick and, using a 6cm fluted cutter, stamp out 20 rounds, place on non-stick baking trays and bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are just beginning to turn brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Roll out the remaining dough and stamp out 20 more rounds, then cut out a 2cm heart in the middle using a cutter or skewer.
- Lightly beat the egg white until frothy, brush over each biscuit and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake and cool as before.
- Spread a little buttercream frosting over each whole biscuit. Place 1 tsp jam in the centre and cover with a sugar-crusted biscuit, pushing down gently so the jam fills the heart shape.
Per biscuit: calories 256 (13%), sugar 18g (20%), fat 13g (19%), saturates 7.8g (39%), salt 0.2g (3.3%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.