This triple-layered twist on the classic Victoria sponge is sure to impress Mum. Swap strawberries for her favourite fruit if you like.
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 250g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp milk
For the filling
- 284ml Elmlea Double
- 225g strawberries, chopped
- 10 tbsp lemon curd
For the topping
- 200g icing sugar, sieved
- yellow gel food colouring
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Beat together the butter and sugar then add the eggs, flour and milk and beat well until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a lined 18cm cake tin and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, whisk the Elmlea until thick but not stiff. Chop 150g of the strawberries and fold into the Elmlea.
- Trim the top of the cake to level it and slice horizontally into three. Spread filling on to two slices and, using a teaspoon, dollop lemon curd over. Put the layers back together, with the flat base on top.
- Place the icing sugar in a bowl. Add cold water a little at a time and mix to a thick, flowing consistency. Add food colouring to tint the icing sugar pale yellow then spread icing over the cake, letting it dribble down the sides. Decorate with strawberries and leave to set.
Per serving: calories 452 (23%), sugar 38g (42%), fat 25g (36%), saturates 15g (75%), salt 0.6g (10%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.