This nutritional powerhouse of a salad packs plenty of crunch and proves there's more to salad than lettuce. Meat-eaters might like to serve it with a grilled chicken breast; fish-lovers can try it with a salmon steak.
- 200g bulgar wheat
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp crushed chillies
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 40g feta, crumbled
- Place the bulgar wheat in a bowl and pour over 100ml boiling water and some salt. Mix, then leave to stand for 5 minutes or until it's cool enough to break the wheat back into fine grains with your fingers.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together. Add a good pinch each of sugar, salt and black pepper. Shake well and set aside.
- Trim the broccoli; halve the large pieces lengthways then cut into smaller pieces. Boil in salted water for 3 minutes, drain and rinse in cold water. Dry on a clean tea towel.
- Add the carrots, broccoli and onions to the bulgar wheat.
- Pour the dressing over and mix. Serve with the pumpkin seeds and feta sprinkled over.
Per serving: calories 368 (18%), sugar 7g (7.8%), fat 14.5g (21%), saturates 3.1g (16%), salt 0.7g (12%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.