Serve this decadent chocolate cake at room temperature to ensure the shiny ganache topping stays soft and fudgey.
- 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250g salted butter
- 8 eggs, separated
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 orange, zest only
- For the chocolate ganache topping, 280g dark chocolate, 250ml double cream, 50g salted butter
- milk chocolate curls
- hand-painted blown eggs
- Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/Gas 3. Line the base and sides of a 24cm round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, ensuring the bowl doesn’t touch the water, and allow to melt. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract until pale and thickened. Add the cooled chocolate and butter mix and whisk gently until well combined. Add the almonds, flour, baking powder and orange zest and, using a large metal spoon, fold gently.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form. Take a large spoonful and gently fold it into the cake mix. Continue to incorporate the remaining egg white a spoonful at a time.
- Once all the egg white has been added, pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for an hour. To check whether the cake is cooked, stick a skewer into the centre of the cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If not, give it another 5-10 minutes and test again. When the cake is ready, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the tin.
- While the cake is cooling, make the ganache topping. Place all the ingredients into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, again making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Mix gently until all the chocolate has melted. If the mixture splits, add 1-2 tbsp hot water and mix well. Spread the ganache over the top and sides of the cake then decorate with milk chocolate curls and hand-painted blown eggs.
Per serving: 597 (30%), sugar 38g (42%), fat 43g (61%), saturates 22g (110%), salt 0.5g (8%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.