These Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with lingonberry sauce but redcurrant, cranberry or blackberry work just as well. Don’t freeze the dip
- freeze it
- handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 300g minced pork
- 300g minced beef
- 1 large egg
- 75g dry breadcrumbs
- 100ml milk
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
For the sauce
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml beef stock, made from a cube
- 1 tbsp redcurrant sauce with port, plus extra to serve
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7. In a large bowl, mix the parsley, meat, egg, breadcrumbs, milk and spices well with your hands. Season with salt and pepper then, using wet hands, roll the mixture into small balls and place on an oiled baking tray. Chill for about an hour so they firm up.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and cooked through and no pink meat remains.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour, stirring to form a paste. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, whisking to combine. It will go lumpy at first but keep whisking between additions of stock and the sauce will become smooth. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and add the redcurrant sauce, whisking until it melts. Stir in the soured cream and heat gently.
- Serve the meatballs on cocktail sticks with the dip and more redcurrant sauce on the side.
Per serving: calories 256 (13%), sugar 2.3g (3%), fat 15.5g (22%), saturates 7.1g (36%), salt 0.8g (13%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.