Baking powder is the secret ingredient in this traditional Spanish recipe as it reacts with the water to give the fritters a light and fluffy texture
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Fino sherry or dry white wine
- 2 x 145g packs raw king prawns
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- light olive oil, for frying
- sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice only
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and some salt. Make a well and pour in 350ml water and the Fino sherry or dry white wine then whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in the prawns and spring onions; the batter should be runny but thin enough to lightly coat the ingredients.
- Pour about 12 cm oil into a large frying pan and heat until a bit of batter dropped in sizzles straight away. Scoop up the prawns and onions with just enough batter to coat, carefully drop into the hot oil and spread out so there is a single layer. Fry until golden then turn over. Cook until the batter and prawns are cooked through. Cook 2 or 3 fritters at a time and drain on kitchen paper . Serve sprinkled with sea salt and drizzled with lemon juice.
Per serving: calories 195 (10%), sugar 0.5g (1%), fat 12g (17%), saturates 1.7g (8%), salt 0.3g (5%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.