The open faced sandwich (smørbrød) is a staple part of the Norwegian diet. Try other traditional toppings such as shrimps, thin slices of cured meat, hard boiled eggs and sliced cheese
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 225g smoked salmon
- 150g soft cream cheese
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 8 slices wheat, spelt & rye loaf
- 4 cocktail gherkins, finely chopped
- fresh dill sprigs
- Place the shallot in a sieve and pour hot water from the kettle over to blanch it. This will reduce the acidity. Blitz with all the other ingredients in a food processor until almost smooth then transfer to a bowl, cover and chill for a couple of hours to firm up.
- Serve with toasted triangles of wheat, spelt & rye loaf, topped with the gherkins and dill.
Per serving: calories 224 (11%), sugar 1.3g (1%), fat 15g (21%), saturates 8.8g (44%), salt 1.5g (25%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.