A summer dessert that tastes just as delicious as it looks. Make the meringue the night before to get ahead and store in an airtight container
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 6 egg whites
- 405g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 350g fresh strawberries, thickly sliced
- 400ml double cream
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 100g fresh raspberries
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and draw a large oval on it, filling the size, to use as a guide.
- Mix the white wine vinegar and cornflour in a small bowl. In a large, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add a little of the cornflour mix and 300g of the sugar, alternating until both are incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture inside the oval shape on the baking sheet and use a spatula to smooth the edges. Using a spoon, create a hollow in the middle for the filling. Place in the oven, immediately reduce the temperature to 120°C/100°C fan/Gas ½ and cook for 120 minutes.
- When the meringue has cooked, turn off the oven, open the door slightly and allow it to cool completely in the oven. This will stop it from cracking and allow it to dry out properly.
- Meanwhile, make the vanilla syrup by placing the scraped-out seeds from the vanilla pod into a small saucepan with 4 tbsp of the caster sugar and 4 tbsp water. Bring to the boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place the strawberries in a bowl, pour over the syrup, stir well and leave to steep for 10 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, whip the double cream along with the remaining 3 tbsp of caster sugar until it forms soft peaks. Swirl through the lemon curd and spoon into the centre of the meringue. Add the remaining berries to the strawberries, mix well and spoon the fruit over the cream, along with all the syrup.
Per serving: calories 405 (20%), sugar 46.9g (52%), fat 21.8g (31%), saturates 13.5g (68%), salt 0.1g (1.6%) of your guideline daily amount
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.