Bring out these tasty nibbles while you’re enjoying Eurovision
Vienna food facts
Add to your party buffet with some Austrian-themed dishes to honour the 2015 Eurovision hosts.
- Schnitzel is a classic Austrian dish – traditionally this is breaded veal, or try our archive recipe for a chicken version.
- Sachertorte is another famous dish from Austria – a chocolate cake topped with apricot jam and completely covered with dark chocolate icing. Mehr bitte (more please)!
- Danish pastries actually originated in Austria! Make your own Mini apple pie bites in celebration of European harmony.
- Coffee houses are a big part of Viennese life, so keep everyone awake until the final results with a good strong brew!
- Ireland has won a record seven times, with Norway coming last 11 times!
- Last year over 195 million people saw the event in more than 45 countries.
- The first Eurovision (in 1956) had only seven entrants – the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Switzerland. This year there will be 39.
- 19 countries have scored ‘nul points’ at least once.