This gluten-free version makes for a moister cake than a flour-based bake. 55p per serving
- gluten free
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten together
- 175g ground almonds
- 250g mashed potato
- 3 lemons, zest only
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 lemons, juice and zest only
- 100g caster sugar
- White writing icing tube
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm square cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almonds, potato, lemon zest and baking powder until well blended, then fold this into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined tin, smooth over the top and bake for about 45 minutes until risen and golden. Check to see if it’s done by poking a metal skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean, the cake should be ready.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze and drizzle over the cake while it’s still warm.
- When cool, transfer the cake to a serving plate. Drizzle with white writing icing and scatter with lemon zest. Cut into 16 squares to serve.
Each serving contains: Energy 1539kJ 369kcal (18%); Fat 25g (36%); Saturates 10g (50%); Sugars 26g (29%); Salt 0.6g (10%) of your Reference Intake. Carbohydrates per serving: 29.4g
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.