Can your guests guess the mystery ingredient? Serve with Pimm’s as a hint! £1.23 per serving
- gluten free
For the pastry
- 100g rice flour, plus extra for rolling
- 100g fine yellow cornmeal
- Pinch of salt
- 100g chilled unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg lightly beaten
For the filling
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 orange, finely grated zest and juice only
- 150ml Pimm’s
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 80g butter, cubed
- 200g caster sugar
- Mint sprigs
- Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Orange zest
- To make the pastry, put the rice flour and cornmeal into a bowl with the salt and whisk together to combine. Use the coarse side of a grater and grate the butter into the flour mixture. This helps the butter stay cold.
- Add in the egg and enough water (1-2 tbsp) to bring the mixture together. Turn it out on to a surface dusted with rice flour, pat into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 25cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Fill with baking parchment and beans and bake blind for 20 minutes. Remove the beans and parchment and cook for a further 10 minutes until the pastry case is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling place the strawberries into a food processor with the orange zest and juice, Pimm’s, sugar and mint. Blend until smooth then warm through in a saucepan.
- Separate the eggs, whisk the yolks with the cornflour and 1 tbsp of cold water, then whisk into the hot strawberry mixture and continue cooking, stirring constantly , until the mixture thickens. Stir in the cubed butter and continue stirring until it melts. Spoon into the cooked pastry case and allow to cool, then chill for 2 hours.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then add the sugar a spoonful at a time and continue whisking until thick stiff and glossy.
- Pile on top of the filling and bake in the oven for 6 -7 minutes until just pale golden. To serve, decorate the top with mint sprigs, fresh strawberry slices and a scattering of orange zest.
Each serving contains: Energy 2261kJ 540kcal (27%); Fat 24g (34%); Saturates 13.3g (67%); Sugars 43g (48%); Salt 0.3g (5%) of your Reference Intake. Carbohydrates per serving: 66g
Click the meal you want to plan this recipe for.