Meatballs hold the same national treasure status in Sweden as sausages do here. No wonder savvy Swedish mums turn to Scan Original Swedish Meatballs for a quick and nutritious meal with fresh herbs and spices and ethically-reared pork and beef. Now these authentic, ready-made meatballs, with no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives, are fast becoming regulars on UK tables too. This easy recipe below is perfect to celebrate the Swedish Midsummer festival in June. Get other tasty recipes at scanmeatballs.com and discover why meatballs are great for revamping family mealtimes and tempting taste buds with something new.
Spicy barbecue meatballs & mango salsa
Discover Sweden’s best kept secret
Serves 4 • Make it in 25 mins
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 large mango, diced
- Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice only
- 395g pack Scan Original Swedish Meatballs
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
- 16 small cherry tomatoes
- Naan breads
- Lemon wedges to squeeze over
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for the mango salsa finely chop three of the onion wedges and mix with the mango, coriander and lime zest and juice. Season and chill until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl mix the meatballs with the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, cumin and paprika until coated evenly.
- Thread the meatballs, peppers, remaining onion wedges and cherry tomatoes alternately on to the soaked skewers.
- Barbecue (or grill) away from direct heat for 12-15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with any leftover marinade. Serve with the salsa, warm naan breads and lemon wedges.